Concrete combines sand, aggregate (crushed rock), and cement to create a durable and versatile substance with many applications, including driveways and sidewalks. Driveways made with this affordable material typically last 20 to 50 years with the right maintenance.
Help preserve your driveway with these simple tips from Weeks Sand & Concrete, the local sand and ready-mix concrete company serving Cameron, NC, and the surrounding areas. It does not take much effort to maintain concrete’s function and appearance:
- Clean It Regularly: Clean your driveway often to keep it free of potentially damaging debris. Use a broom to remove leaves and other particles about every week or so, and hit the driveway with a power washer every two or three months to blast away dirt and grime.
- Remove Stains Immediately: Remove gasoline, grease, oil, and other staining agents as soon as possible to maintain an aesthetically pleasing driveway. Sawdust and cat litter offer the absorbance you want to make cleaning gasoline and similar stains easy and quick. Use a concrete cleaner or detergent and water solution to remove the rest of the stain.
- Reapply Sealer: Reapply concrete sealer every two to five years, depending on how often the finish wears off. A sealer protects concrete from the elements and helps prevent small cracks and fissures from forming. If you do notice small cracks, use a concrete patching product to repair the damage before it spreads.
- Keep Sharp & Heavy Objects Off: Avoid placing sharp or excessively heavy objects on the driveway, such as metal ice chippers and heavy-duty machinery. Use plastic snow shovels or a snow blower to remove the white stuff instead of possibly chipping the concrete with a metal shovel.
- Avoid De-icing Chemicals: Don’t use salt or harsh de-icing chemicals that break down sealing agents and hasten concrete deterioration. Sand works as effective traction for any ice-covered spots.
Weeks Sand & Concrete has provided a range of commercial, residential, and industrial products to Cameron and surrounding-area customers since 1984. The locally owned and operated company specializes in sand and ready-mix concrete products, including washed and topsoil sand, as well as outstanding customer service. Call (919) 499-4272 for an estimate or visit the website for more product and service information.