If your “Check Engine” light recently came on, you shouldn’t just ignore it. The light indicates that your vehicle has a real problem that needs attending to. Mt. Healthy Auto Repair, a car repair and maintenance shop in Mt. Healthy, OH, can determine the problem and make repairs that will turn the “Check Engine” light off. The repairs could range from simple, inexpensive fixes to extensive repairs. No matter what the problem, if you ignore it, it could lead to a costlier repair bill down the road.
Here are the top five things that could trip the “Check Engine” light:
- Mass Air Flow Sensor: A mass air flow sensor monitors the amount of air mixed in the fuel injection system. Most fail due to an air filter being improperly installed or never replaced. You can try to replace it yourself, but it’s best left to an auto repair shop.
- Catalytic Converter: A catalytic converter reduces the harmful gasses in your exhaust. If you’re good about keeping up with your routine maintenance, you shouldn’t have any problems with it. It’s a costly repair that needs to be taken care of right away if you want to keep your car running.
- Oxygen Sensor: Oxygen sensors in the emissions control system monitor how much fuel is burned. If the “Check Engine” light is on, one of them could be indicating a problem.
- Loose Gas Cap: If your gas cap is loose or cracked, fuel vapors can leak out of your car and reduce your mileage. It may just need to be tightened or replaced.
- Spark Plug Wires: Spark plugs create sparks that ignite air and gas in your engine to power your car. They can go many thousands of miles without being replaced, but they’ll need to be replaced eventually. Luckily, they are typically inexpensive and easy to replace.
If you live in the Greater Cincinnati area, the experts at Mt. Healthy Auto Repair will get to the bottom of your “Check Engine” light problem. This auto shop is dedicated to outstanding customer service and quality workmanship at affordable prices. They even offer a free loaner car to drive while your car is being repaired. Call Mt. Healthy Auto Repair today at (513) 522-9555, or visit their website for more information.