Road salt may keep you from sliding off the road during a snowstorm, but those benefits do come with some potentially serious drawbacks. For one thing, accumulated salt can wreak havoc on the body and undercarriage of your car, causing serious damage in a surprisingly short amount of time. The experts at Mt. Healthy Auto Repair, one of the Cincinnati area's favorite auto shops, has some tips for helping you avoid the most unpleasant consequences of road salt on your car.
Whenever you drive on salted roads, it's important to:
- Thoroughly clean your car, including the undercarriage. Built-up dirt and grease has a way of holding on to road salt and sand.
- Have your car waxed by a professional, who will use a good wax sealer. During the winter, this will help prevent damage to the body of your car.
- While you're at it, have your undercarriage sealed, especially the brake and fuel lines, which are especially susceptible to corrosion.
- When washing your car at home, hit the undercarriage with high pressure, paying special attention to the wheel wells, behind the fenders, and other areas where salt slush accumulates.
- Always use soap that's specifically formulated for cars, since dish soap will strip the wax off your finish.
- During the winter, it's best to visit a professional car wash with steam cleaning services and an undercarriage wash. This minor investment will prevent expensive repairs in the future.
The car repair experts at Mt. Healthy Auto Repair offer a comprehensive range of services, from regular maintenance like oil changes to major engine work. They even have free loaner cars so you can go on with your life while they work on your car. Visit their website to learn more, call (513) 522-9555 with any questions, or bring your car to the shop today.